名词性从句是由if, whether, that 和各种疑问词充当连接词所引导的从句，其功同名词一样。
1. It 作形式主语和it引导强调句的比较
It is a pity that you didn’t go to see the film.
It doesn’t interest me whether you succeed or not.
It is in the morning that the murder took place.
It is John that broke the window.
2. 用it 作形式主语的结构
(1) It is ＋名词＋从句
It is a fact that … 事实是…
It is an honor that …非常荣幸
It is common knowledge that …是常识
(2) it is ＋形容词＋从句
It is natural that… 很自然…
It is strange that… 奇怪的是…
(3) it is ＋不及物动词＋从句
It seems that… 似乎…
It happened that… 碰巧…
(4) it ＋过去分词＋从句
It is reported that… 据报道…
It has been proved that… 已证实…
(1) if 引导的主语从句不可居于复合句句首。
(2) It is said , (reported) …结构中的主语从句不可提前。例如：
It is said that President Jingo will visit our school next week. (right)
That President Jiang will visit our school next week is said. (wrong)
(3) It happens…, It occurs… 结构中的主语从句不可提前。例如：
It occurred to him that he failed in the examination. (right)
That he failed in the examination occurred to him. (wrong)
(4) It doesn’t matter how/whether …结构中的主语从句不可提前。例如：
It doesn’t matter whether he is wrong or not. (right)
Whether he is wrong or not doesn’t matter. (wrong)
Is it likely that it will rain in the evening? (right)
Is that will rain in the evening likely? (wrong)
4. What 与that 在引导主语从句时的区别
What 引导主语从句时在句时在从句中充当句子成分，如主语．宾语．表语，而that 则不然。例如：
1) What you said yesterday is right.
2) That she is still alive is a consolation.
(1) 由that引导的宾语从句（that 通常可以省略）,例如：
I heard that be joined the army.
(2) 由what, whether (if) 引导的宾语从句，例如：
1) She did not know what had happened.
2) I wonder whether you can change this note for me.
She told me that she would accept my invitation.
例如：Our success depends upon how well we can cooperate with one another.
例如：I am afraid (that) I’ve made a mistake.
Anxious, aware, certain, confident, convinced, determined, glad, proud, surprised, worried, sorry, thankful, ashamed, disappointed, annoyed, pleased, hurt, satisfied, content 等。也可以将此类词后的that 从句的看作原因状语从句。
4. It 可以作为形式宾语
It 不仅可以作为形式主语，还可以作为形式宾语而真正的宾语that 从句则放在句尾，特别是在带复合宾语的句子中。 例如：
We heard it that she would get married next month..
5. 后边不能直接跟that 从句的动词
这类动词有Allow, refuse, let, like, cause, force, admire, condemn, celebrate, dislike, love, help, take, forgive等。这类词后可以用不定式或动名词作宾语，但不可以用that引导的宾语从句。例如：
I admire their winning the match. (right)
I admire that they won the match. (wrong)
有些动词不可用于“动词＋间接宾语＋that从句“结构中，常见的有Envy, order, accuse, refuse, impress, forgive, blame, denounce, advise, congratulate等。例如：
He impressed the manager as an honest man. (right)
He impressed the manager that he was an honest man. (wrong)
若主句谓语动词为Think, consider, wuppose, believe, expect, fancy, guess, imagine等，其后的宾语从句若含有否定意义，一般要把否定词转移到主句谓语上，从句谓语用肯定式。例如：
I don’t think this dress fits you well.（我认为这件衣服不适合你穿。）
表语从句在复合句中作表语的名词性从句，放在系动词之后，一般结构是“主语＋连系动词＋表语从句”。可以接表语从句的连系动词有be, look, remain, seem等。引导表语从句的that常可省略。另外，常用的还有the reason is that… 和It is because 等结构。例如：
1) The question is whether we can make good preparation in such a short time.
2) This is why we can’t get the support of the people
3) But the fact remains that we are behind the other classes.
4) The reason he is late for school is that he missed the early bus.
1) The king’s decision that the prisoner would be set free surprised all the people.
2) The order that all the soldiers should stay still is given by the general.
He got the news from Mary that the sports meeting was put off.
1) The news that he told me is that Tom would go abroad next year.（他告诉我的消息是汤姆明年将出国。）（第一个that引导的从句是定语从句，that在从句中作宾语）
2)The news that Tom would go abroad is told by him.（汤姆将出国的消息是他讲的。）（同位语从句，that在句中不作任何成分）